This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Data Collector Set Elevated Rights

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM

After installwing BBW, I tried to create the data collector sets, however I am recieving an error to make sure I am running with elevated rights.  I'm logged in as a user that's an Adminstrator on the server, are there other things I can check?

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Sorry for late reply,

Try right-clicking on the BizTalk Benchmark Wizard and select "Run as Administrator", this will give you elevated privilages. Get back to me if you still have problems.

//Mikael

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the password for the local administrator user.  My domain account I am running under does belong to the Administrators group, and I have full rights to administer the server-- are there just some additional groups I need to add my domain account to?

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM

"Run as Administrator" does not require username an password. It's not the same thing as "Run as". What operating system are you running on?

//Mikael

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Windows Server 2003. 

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM

ah, sorry that feature was not introduced until 2008. Do you have anything in the eventlog?

Does everything else work? Can you run the tests?

(going to bed now, but I'll check in to morrow morning)

//Mikael

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Nothing in teh event log and I can run the tests-- just can't create the data collection sets.  The test results aren't too great however-- had two failed tests:  Avg processed msgs/sec:  36 & Avg received / sec:  24

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

First off, I'm not 100% sure user defined collector sets are supported on win2003. However it is, you can add them manually.

In the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blogical\BizTalk Benchmark Wizard\COUNTERLOGS\[SERVERNAME]\Templates\" you should find a set of template files. Open a command prompt and import them using the following command:

C:\>logman import -name "[SERVERNAME]]_BizTalk Server" -xml "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blogical\BizTalk Benchmark Wizard\COUNTERLOGS\[SERVERNAME]\Templates\[SERVERNAME]]_BizTalk Server.xml"

and

C:\>logman import -name "[SERVERNAME]]_SQL Server" -xml "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blogical\BizTalk Benchmark Wizard\COUNTERLOGS\[SERVERNAME]\Templates\[SERVERNAME]]_SQL Server.xml"

Note that it's important to set the name to the same as the file (-.xml")

Important! When you've created the collector sets, you need to set the account on which they are running under.

1. Open Perfmon, and expand the "Data Colector Sets" folder
  2. Expand the "User Defined" folder, and right-click on the first collector set and select "Properties"
  3. In the properties dialog, change the "Run As" to the same account as you're logged in as
  4. Repeat step 3 for all collector sets

HTH

//Mikael

PS. Don't forget to rate the project (on downloads) if you're satisfied with the tool and support.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I have the SQL server template under that folder, but not BizTalk server.